The Origin

Ningyocho Imahan was established in 1895 as a Gyunabe (Sukiyaki) restaurant. Since then, we have maintained our policy of providing only the best quality beef. We'd like to thank everyone for supporting our restaurant.

Here, we would like to answer your most frequently asked questions regarding our restaurant and the origin of our name.

Origin of Imahan
Q1. What is the difference between "Asakusa Imahan" and "Ningyocho Imahan"?

A1.There are five companies using the name of "Imahan" for Sukiyaki restaurant.

Honten "Imahan Honten"(located on Asakusa Nakamise Street, Tokyo)
This is the shop that appeared in the Japanese film "Waka daisho series".
Bekkan "Imahan Bekkan" (located the block behind Asakusa Nakamise Street, Tokyo)
This is the shop that appeared in the Japanese film "Ijin tachino natsu (Summer with Aliens)" directed by Mr. Obayashi.
Asakusa "Asakusa Imahan"(located beside the Asakusa View Hotel, on Asakusa Kokusai Street Tokyo)
They have the largest sales share of beef tsukudani (soy sauce marinated beef) in Japan.
"Yoyogi Imahan"(located next to Yoyogi Seminar School, Yoyogi, Tokyo)
Many people are addicted their original "Beef tongue Shabu shabu"

"Ningyocho Imahan"(located on the left side of Ningyocho Amazake Yokocho Street, towards Meijiza (Meiji theater))
One of top cooks in Japan for beef selection provides only the best of best for our restaurant.
There is also a souvenir shop in Asakusa, and a beef restaurant in Sendai Miyagi prefecture use the name of Imahan.
All of these companies originated from the first Imahan but each company has since become independent.
Miyage

Of those companies, we are Ningyocho Imahan.
Ningyocho Imahan was established in 1952 as Asakusa Imahan Nihonbashi Branch.
Some years later, the owner of Imahan decided to set aside Asakusa Imahan for his elder son and Ningyocho Imahan for younger son in 1956.
Since then, both Imahan restaurants have developed smoothly.


Q2What is the meaning of the name of "Imahan"
A2 During the Meiji period, Japanese people began cooking with beef and many cows were brought to the Tokyo market. However, many of these cows were not fit for consumption as they were often sick or old. The Japanese government owned a slaughterhouse in Imasato village (now, Shiba Shirokane, Minato ku, Tokyo) "Ima" means only uses the good beef from Imasato village and "han" is from Imahan's founder's name "Han taro".


Q3 What did Imahan look like at that time?
A3. Asakusa was the biggest amusement area in Tokyo at that time. Imahan was called "Imahan Goten(Imahan palace)" as it was a gorgeous building and they used to use gold pots for sukiyaki.
In the Taisho period, a newspaper article stated that from the prosperity of Imahan one could forecast Japanese economics. However, the "palace" and gold pots disappeared in World war II.